Thursday, December 31, 2009

Every new beginning comes from some other beginning's end...

Where the heck have I been lately?? After enduring another frantic holiday season and a computer crash, I emerge ready to start 2010!

Ten years ago, I was at a friend’s house drinking champagne in a tiara and pajamas; anxiously wondering if we would survive “Y2K”. Oh, what a difference a decade makes! I can honestly say the last ten years have been the best of my life so far, for many reasons. The explosion of our love of cooking and eating, being one of them. Chefs are now rock stars, the home cook has access to tools and foods like never before and kids are growing up on the Food Network. It’s an exciting time for a foodie.

As we all know and wish to forget; the last year has been a rough one for many people, including those in the restaurant business. Many restaurants have closed (RIP Restaurant Du Village) but there were those brave enough to start up new ones or even expand existing favorites (Cavey’s – new and improved with Andre still in the house!).

Now, I am not a resolution kind of girl. But I did have a chance to make a little bucket list for 2010:

Conquer the fear of baking (so many measurements! So scientific!)
Learn Thai cooking (above and beyond Pad Thai)
Make cheese (starting with ricotta)
Ditch the coffeemaker and dust off the French Press
Start a cookbook swap

I think that’s doable!

Goodbye 2009. Another year begins. May it be full of new journeys, mouthwatering adventures and gastronomic explorations!

Won’t you come along for the ride?

2 comments:

mikey said...

i just started baking myself, and the best part is even when you screw up the house still smells good.

Margot said...

I would love a cookbook swap! Margot